Long preparation: 2h30
You can do this in an hour, but then the cabbage is still crunchy.
This preparation is slow, but gives the cabbage time to absorb all the flavors. Of course it is even tastier the next day!
- 1 medium red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 shallot and 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp regular vinegar, 2 tbsp pomegranate vinegar (but can also be used with regular apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, of your choice…)
- 4 tbsp grenadine syrup
- 200 g red currant jelly
- 2 heaping tbsp honey (preferably changed, or other intense flavor)
- 3 tbsp dried Cranberries
- 1 kg Jonagold apples, peeled and cut into pieces
- 250ml water
Place the butter in a large pot and place over a medium heat. Saute the shallot and onion . Then add, little by little, the red cabbage. Constantly reshaping.
Add the bay leaf and thyme and the vinegar. Stir well.
Add the water and grenadine, stir well.
Turn the heat to low and let the cabbage simmer under a lid for an hour. Stir regularly.
After an hour, add half of the apples and the honey and berry jelly.
Let it simmer for another hour, stirring regularly.
Add the remaining apples and the cranberries, let it cook for another half hour without the lid.
Season with pepper.